Looking for an alternative to pumpkin or apple pie for the holidays? Try this decadent Cranberry Upside Down Cake recipe courtesy of one of our top wine partners, The California Wine Club and Pedroncelli Winery.
For the topping:
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°.
2. Grease and flour 9-inch round cake pan, line with parchment paper round, and spray with cooking spray.
3. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cranberries, sugar, and jam and cook until cranberries are just softened, about 4 minutes. Strain cranberry mixture over bowl, reserving juices.
4. Add strained juices to empty skillet and simmer over medium heat until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, about 4 minutes.
5. Off heat, stir in vanilla. Arrange strained berries in single layer in prepared pan. Pour juice mixture over berries and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the cake:
1. Process almonds and 1/4 cup flour in food processor until finely ground. Add remaining flour, baking powder, and salt and pulse to combine.
2. Whisk milk and extracts in measuring cup.
3. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until combined.
4. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of milk mixture.
5. Using clean bowl and beaters, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until they hold soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Whisk one-third of whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
6. Pour batter over chilled cranberry mixture and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes, then run paring knife around cake and invert onto serving plate and serve.
Pair with Port - We recommend pairing this dessert with Pedroncelli Four Gapes Vintage Port. Ripe berries, rich caramel and toffee aromas lead to a flavorful dessert wine with warm spice, raspberry and cream soda highlights. Click to Buy Now.
Heads up: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we may receive a small commission which helps us to keep drinking more wine. Cheers!